The update is available on the Facebook mobile site and both iOS and Android apps. The iOS Version 5.2 update includes:
- The addition of a new share link to re-post stories from your news feed;
- The ability to tag your friends in any post, comment or photo;
- The inclusion of smileys, hears and other emoji in messages; and
- A change in where you sort the news feed from (now located nest to newsfeed in the left sidebar)
The android update includes:
- The addition of a share option on newsfeed stories;
- The ability to create an album from the Photos tab on Timeline;
- Improvements to photo tagging; and
- A fix for status update failure affecting some users
This is a welcome addition, considering that 600 million of Facebook’s 1 billion monthly users are active mobile users. Now mobile users will finally be able to share stories they see in their newsfeed on their own Timeline with relative ease so their friends can see it. To remind myself of the pain of doing this previously, I just went through the process of sharing a link from a mobile device “the old way” and counted that it was a 14 step process! Grrrr…
A share button has definitely been missing from Facebook mobile for way too long and will assist Page owner’s in reaching a wider audience as more people will now have the ability to share their stories on their behalf.
Whilst this is great news, my initial tests on the iOS version of this app only display the “share” option on posts that include an image at this stage. Let’s hope this rolls out to all types of stories soon.
Have you downloaded this update as yet? If so, let us know your thoughts in the comments below.